- General Civil
- Intellectual Property
- Partnership/Corporate Law
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Public Policy
- Real Property
- 1975 – Juris Doctor, Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts. Honors in First Year Moot Court Competition. Judge-Overseer in Stone Moot Court Competition.
- 1971 – Bachelor of Arts, Claremont McKenna College, Claremont, California. Dean’s List 1969-1971.
- May 1976 – Supreme Court of Illinois.
- June 1976 – United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois.
- December 1977 – United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit.
- December 1980 – United States Supreme Court.
- July 1981 – Supreme Court of Hawaii.
- August 1981 – United States District Court, District of Hawaii.
- October 1982 – United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
- Recent Developments In Insurance Law – May 3, 1996
- Recent Developments In Hawaii Insurance Law – May 16, 1997
- Additional Insured and Contractual Indemnity Provisions – January 22, 1998
- Bad Faith Litigation in Hawaii – July 15, 1998
- Insurance Law in Hawaii – December 8, 1998
- Bad Faith Litigation in Hawaii – August 26, 1999
- Lorman Insurance Law Seminar – December 9, 1999
- NBI Bad Faith Litigation – August 24, 2000
- Lorman Insurance Seminar – December 8, 2000
- NBI Bad Faith Litigation – November 7, 2001
- NBI Insurance Coverage Law Seminar – April 26, 2002
- Lorman Hawaii Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith – July 19, 2002
- NBI Bad Faith Litigation in Hawaii – November 19, 2002
- Lorman Solving Water Intrusion and Mold Problems in Hawaii – March 4, 2003
- NBI Insurance Coverage Law in Hawaii – July 29, 2003
- NBI Challenges in Hawaii Insurance Coverage Litigation – January 28, 2004
- NBI Insurance Coverage Law in Hawaii – December 4, 2004
- Halfmoon LLC – Legal Issues for Hawaiian Design Professionals – May 23, 2007
- NBI Insurance Law Update: Understanding Current Coverage Trends – June 2007
- Lorman Top 10 Issues in Insurance Coverage – August 22, 2007
- Lorman Top 9 Issues in Insurance Coverage – November 5, 2008
- Sterling Bad Faith Insurance Claims Seminar – January 22, 2009
- NBI Insurance Fundamentals for Personal Injury Practice – June 10, 2011
- Sterling Insurance Bad Faith Claims – August 18, 2011
- Hawaiian Telcom
- Hilton Worldwide, Inc.
- Kiewit Pacific Co.
- Pflueger Properties/Pila’a 400 LLC
- State of Hawaii Department of Attorney General
- Crum & Forster
- Dongbu Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- Fairmont Specialty Insurance
- First Mercury Insurance
- HDI-Gerling America Insurance
- Hartford Insurance Group
- Lloyd’s of London
- NCMIC Insurance Co.
- North American Risk Services
- Northbridge Insurance
- Oahu Transit Services
- One Beacon Insurance Company
- Pretorian Insurance
- QBE Americas, Inc.
- RLI Insurance Co.
- Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Specialty Risk Services, Inc.
- Tokio Marine Insurance
- Travelers Property Casualty
- United State Liability Insurance Company
- Verus Underwriting Managers, LLC
- American Arbitration Association – Panel Arbitrator and Mediator
- Dispute Prevention and Resolution (Hawaii) – Panel Arbitrator and Mediator (Attended DPR Advanced Mediation Skills Seminar – November 2005)
- State of Hawaii, First Circuit, Court Annexed Arbitration
- Program – Pro Bono Arbitrator
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Insurance Coverage Section Vice Chair (2009 – 2012)
- State Representative
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association
WESLEY H. H. CHING, ESQ.
AREA OF EXPERTISECommercial/Business , Construction/Design , Injury/Torts , Insurance/Personal
All neutrals on the DPR Panel are willing to travel to the neighbor islands and the mainland. If you have any questions, please contact DPR at (808) 523-1234
Admissions To Practice
Present – Partner, Fukunaga Matayoshi Hershey & Ching
Extensive and comprehensive practice in civil litigation including insurance law, commercial and construction litigation, tort and catastrophic personal injury law, product liability, professional liability, and intellectual property litigation in all State and Federal courts in the 2 State of Hawaii, administrative and regulatory agencies, and public and private arbitration and mediation. Responsibilities as lead counsel include case management of all phases of civil litigation (pleadings, investigation, discovery, motions, pre-trial, settlement and/or trial, and appeal) and non-litigation (evaluation, monitoring, opinion letters).
1981-1993 – Partner and Managing Partner, O’Connor Playdon & Guben
See description for Fukunaga Matayoshi Hershey & Ching.
1978-1981 – Assistant State’s Attorney, Special Prosecutions Bureau, State’s Attorney’s Office of Cook County (Illinois).
Responsible for the prosecution of felonies, principally in the areas of arson and narcotics (and other controlled substances), requiring extensive trial practice in all phases of criminal litigation. Previous experience included preliminary hearings in violent crimes (murder, rape, etc.), misdemeanor trials, and substantial appellate practice involving supervision of attorneys, preparation of briefs, and presentation of oral arguments in Appellate and Supreme Courts of Illinois.
1976-1978 – Director, Law Student Division, American Bar Association.
Provided principal staff support and services for the ABA’s Law Student Division. Responsibilities included developing and directing wide range of Division programs such as Client Counseling Competition, National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Law School Services Fund, and Attorney-Student Counseling Program, planning and organizing Division’s Annual Meeting and Division’s magazine, Student Lawyer, and other publications. Research Counsel, Office of the President, American Bar Association. Provided research on legal matters for the ABA’s President and President-Elect. Responsibilities included drafting of speeches, President’s pages, and journal articles and preparation of memorandum and reports on issues of interest and concern to the legal profession and the organized bar.